[cfe-dev] firm 'cparser'

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Dec 3 00:14:01 PST 2008

As mentioned on llvmdev, the 'firm' project recently released the
source (GPL2 license) for their new C parser, named "cparser":
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cparser

In my brief look at it, it looks even more half baked than Clang :),
and (like firm) seems to have an "academic" approach rather than being
built with a goal of a fast and fully conformant frontend.  It
currently doesn't have a preprocessor (though one is in progress),
doesn't track column numbers, uses global variables all over the
place, does not have an optimized lexer (or anything else), etc.
OTOH, it *does* have a man page, and can apparently bootstrap itself! :)

I'm not sure why they didn't just use clang, but being written in C++
and/or using a BSD license seems like possible reasons.

-Chris