[cfe-dev] my gsoc proposal: llvm/clang distcc

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Mon Apr 7 11:20:41 PDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Peter Neumark wrote:
> Hi,
> As far as I know, distcc doesn't support binary AST caching and
> distribution.

No, it works of of preprocessed sources. But you could easily adapt it
to AST.

> And the proposal is about complete reimpementation in C++ with
> static linked llvm/clang libs.
> The main benefit is in handling (storing, caching) AST-s in binary
> form. And also to have a central process, which
> tracks the node network load and coordinates incoming tasks
> according it.

I see. Personally I think that's a rather large project for SoC and am
not sure why a reimplementation specific to llvm would be useful as
opposed to modifying the existing distcc - other than that would be a
distcc SoC project and not an llvm one :)

-eric