[cfe-dev] Colorized compiler errors

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Dec 22 12:29:04 PST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Shantonu Sen wrote:
> Seems like it would have to be significantly more complex to know what
> escape sequences to use (eg by looking at $TERM).

The policy decisions can be made when the code exists :).  It seems
straight-forward to require users to set an envvar to get it or
something, like the mono people did.

> Also, IDEs would probably want to disable colors even if they run the
> compiler hooked up to a pty, in favor of a builtin compiler neutral
> colorizer.

This would only exist in the console-output diagnostics
implementation.  An IDE would use a separate implementation: we don't
expect an IDE to be "parsing" the error/warning output of the
compiler, it would just use the diagnostics reporting API natively.

-Chris