[cfe-dev] standard headers questions

me22 me22.ca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:10:24 PST 2007

On 13/12/2007, Sean Middleditch <sean at awesomeplay.com> wrote:
> Which license would be most appropriate for the C standard headers?  I'm
> not sure that the LLVM license with the advertising clause would be the
> best bet, since those headers get compiled into end-user's applications,
> but IANAL.  Personal preference would be public domain, or MIT/X license
> if the no-liability stuff is considered important, but I'll use whatever
> the project leads say I should.

Something like Boost's license, I'd say.  And it can't be public
domain, see http://www.rosenlaw.com/lj16.htm :
"there is nothing that permits the dumping of intellectual property
into the public domain — except as happens in due course when any
applicable copyrights expire"

> (Some of these headers are so small and
> are just directly taken from the standard's wording that I'm not even
> sure copyright is applicable, but meh.)

I wonder how close they can get without being derivative works of the
standard...

~ Scott

--
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?