[PATCH] D128754: Refactor LLVM compression namespaces
Leonard Chan via Phabricator via cfe-commits
cfe-commits at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 15:32:55 PDT 2022
leonardchan added inline comments.
Comment at: llvm/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst:183-191
+* Refactor compression namespaces across the project, making way for a possible
+ introduction of alternatives to zlib compression in the llvm toolchain.
+ Changes are as follows:
+ * Remove crc32 from zlib compression namespace, people should use the ``llvm::crc32`` instead.
+ * Relocate the ``llvm::zlib`` namespace to ``llvm::compression::zlib``.
+ * Code that explictly needs ``zlib`` compression (IE zlib elf debug sections) should use ``llvm::compression::zlib``.
+ * Code interfacing with compressed profile data should use ``llvm::compression::profile``.
I think maybe even more of these could be split into further patches. I would expect that this patch contain just the namespace refactoring but not necessarily any code deletion or cmake changes. I think this could be:
- One patch that's just the namespace changes; anything else like variable name changes or string changes would be in separate patches, then this patch would be pure RFC and can get a quick LGTM
- One followup patch to this that adds `AlgorithmName` to the nested `zlib` namespace.
- One patch that removes crc32 (and its test)
- One patch for cmake changes
- One patch for the `zlib_unavailable -> compression_unavailable` change and logging string changes in profdata
And if necessary, each of them would have an appropriate ReleaseNodes.rst update.
Comment at: llvm/lib/Support/Compression.cpp:32
Should `createError` still be wrapped with `#if LLVM_ENABLE_ZLIB`?
rG LLVM Github Monorepo
CHANGES SINCE LAST ACTION
More information about the cfe-commits