[Openmp-dev] cpuinfo file reliance

Hal Finkel via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 3 14:18:07 PDT 2020

On 7/3/20 3:42 PM, Itaru Kitayama via Openmp-dev wrote:
> Jeff,
> Linux supports other arches than X86, and the
> layout of cpuinfo is different across the architectures.
>
> In the runtime code if you take a look at already  there are ifdefs.
>
> Itaru.

The alternative that you're proposing is to fork lscpu to read
/proc/cpuinfo instead?

We do understand that /proc/cpuinfo has architecture dependencies, and
this is unfortunate in this context, but it is the interface that Linux
provides. How does lscpu deal with those dependencies? Should our parser
just be more robust?

  -Hal

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 23:48 Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com
> <mailto:jeff.science at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I’m not sure lscpu program is any better and it’s not standard on
>     Linux the way /proc/cpuinfo is.
>
>     What is the specific problem you are seeing? Perhaps you can
>     explain that before trying to design a solution.
>
>     Jeff
>
>     > On Jul 2, 2020, at 10:55 PM, Itaru Kitayama via Openmp-dev
>     <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Is there a plan to move away from arch dependent cpuinfo file
>     to lscup
>     > when creating an affinity map? It has clearly different a format
>     on AArch64.
>     > Openmp-dev mailing list
>     > Openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:Openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org>

Hal Finkel