[Openmp-dev] Location for omptarget

C Bergström via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 30 05:39:21 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Yonghong Yan via Openmp-dev
<openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Why not just be part of openmp library, no libomptarget thing at all? The
> more you develop in the future and the more you will find that it is hard to
> separate. That is my vote too.

Yonghong - please subscribe if you're going to post
The big picture idea is that if liboffload or libtarget handles
offloading in a general way it can be leveraged by multiple
programming models. There's nothing OMP specific about copying a
region(kernel), uploading it to a GPU and launching it. Right now
there's like 2-3 different projects all reinventing code which has a
lot of overlap. By sharing it hopefully flushes out a good API as well
as better robustness from increased testing. (That's my idea/goal
anyway... what others have in mind is..)