[Openmp-dev] Location for omptarget

Yonghong Yan via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 30 05:58:16 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 8:39 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Yonghong Yan via Openmp-dev
> <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Why not just be part of openmp library, no libomptarget thing at all? The
> > more you develop in the future and the more you will find that it is
> hard to
> > separate. That is my vote too.
>
> Yonghong - please subscribe if you're going to post

posted using wrong email. I subscribed already.

> ----------
> The big picture idea is that if liboffload or libtarget handles
> offloading in a general way it can be leveraged by multiple
> programming models. There's nothing OMP specific about copying a
> region(kernel), uploading it to a GPU and launching it. Right now
> there's like 2-3 different projects all reinventing code which has a
> lot of overlap. By sharing it hopefully flushes out a good API as well
> as better robustness from increased testing. (That's my idea/goal
> anyway... what others have in mind is..)

completely understand. For me, I only care openmp ;-). I honestly would
like to make the whole openmp runtime, including libomptarget, be shared by
other programming models. The intention of parallel-libs is good. I however
do not know how the approach will work in reality if we do not have
something working. people would be tired of waiting and discussing of
runtime interface as well as the functionality, so they will create their
own no matter what. at least this is what I did since creating a wrapper
layer on top of multiple device driver API is not hard.

thus my bet to contribute the whole things to the community is first to
have something working functionality-wise, e.g. support different kinds of
devices, as well as with the current openmp runtime, then we make the API
generalized for others to use.

Yonghong