[Openmp-dev] Removing extra files copy

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Mar 10 10:48:56 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Cownie, James H
<james.h.cownie at intel.com> wrote:
> OK, but your patch removes other copies that are moving target specific things, like the runtime library that was just built.
>
> Here...
> -simple_copy_recipe("${lib_file}"       "${build_dir}"  "${export_lib_dir}")
> -simple_copy_recipe("${imp_file}"       "${build_dir}"  "${export_lib_dir}")
> -simple_copy_recipe("${pdb_file}"       "${build_dir}"  "${export_lib_dir}")
> -simple_copy_recipe("${dbg_file}"       "${build_dir}"  "${export_lib_dir}")
>
> What's happening here isn't really an "install" target, since that normally moves things to wherever they need to be in the machine's file system so that everyone can see them. What's happening here is that we're moving the necessary files to somewhere so that they can be packaged into a distribution.
>
> If you remove these copy operations then you won't be able easily to package the result.
>
> So, I'm nervous about taking this patch as is, since it seems to remove functionality that is required.
>
> I would argue that the root of the problem is that you shouldn’t be building multiple architectures into the same target directory at the same time, not that the cmake file is copying files that the user will need into that directory.

Your argument doesn't stand at all. "moving stuff around" - What's the
point of that? This isn't used in the build process at all and you
just said it's about distribution (That's install target).

Please hide the install stuff under and install target or nuke it from
the build target. This stuff is fugly..

btw - from a packager perspective - if you're building an RPM or deb -
the location to which files are copied from can easily be changed. If
there's a specific packager who doesn't know how to do this this I'm
happy to help them.