[llvm-foundation] LLVM Infrastructure

Chris Lattner via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 23 16:48:12 PDT 2016

On May 20, 2016, at 6:13 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> It would be helpful to know how Foundation Board members see the split
> between llvm-dev vs the llvm-foundation list working. My assumption
> would be that dev-facing changes (e.g. a move to github or a change in
> development process) make most sense on llvm-dev, while discussions of
> one cloud vs another or whether a server is paid for or hosting is
> donated by a company (i.e. how a service is provided) may make more
> sense on llvm-foundation. Does that match your understanding?

Yes, that right.  There are two reasons for this:

 1) we all want all the dev-facing policies and technical issues to be resolved by the community, where we already have a structure in place to review such things.
 2) the foundation has one employee (Tanya), who is part time, so it has to pick and chose carefully what it tackles.

Most things can be done by the community, the foundation should only step in when there is no ability (e.g. legal issues) or apparent will (e.g. the website overhaul) to do it.

-Chris