[llvm-dev] [docs][RFC] Style for "end namespace" comments

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 7 02:49:52 PST 2021

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 10:07, Carlos Galvez via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I personally thing this is just something clang-format should update
> automatically as files get modified - over time the style automatically
> becomes consistent.

No, clang-format shouldn't be changing the actual contents as much as it
can, especially if clang-tidy does the same job.

IIUC, James proposal was to match the documentation with whatever
clang-tidy emits, whichever way it goes.

The meaning of all versions are exactly the same and it doesn't really
matter which way you have it.

I echo some comments here that we should focus on bigger things.

The only action I would take here is to update either the docs, or
clang-tidy, to match each other and the general current preference, which
seems to be "// namespace" (the blue bars).

I would strongly discourage people patching existing sources to match the
style just for the sake of style. This is one of those things that aren't
worth having a patch just for this.

cheers,
--renato