[llvm-dev] RFC: [SmallVector] Adding SVec<T> and Vec<T> convenience wrappers.

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 16 13:55:10 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will say I'm not a huge fan of adding even more names for things in
> this fairly core/common use case (now we'll have even more vector
> names to pick from) - can we use default template arguments so we can
> write SmallVector<T> instead of SmallVector<T, N> and would that
> address some of the use cases proposed here?

I won't claim it is perfect, but the added names are a compromise over
rounds of reviews with the folks in the revision. In particular I'm quite
concerned that a default value for N on the SmallVector does not carry the
intent the same way, and is too easy to miss in review (or while reading
code). To me the drawbacks are outweighing the benefits too much.
Also, `SmallVector<LargeType>` would end-up with N==0 implicitly, without
an easy way to figure it out that there is no actual inline storage while
reading the code. An alternative was to reserve the default to only "small
object" so that N isn't zero, but there isn't a platform independent way of
doing that and keep the code portable I believe. So `SVec<T>` is really
saying: "I am willing to pay for some limite inline storage if possible but
I don't have a N in mind".

Finally the simple `llvm::Vector` case to replace `SmallVector<T, 0>` is
because it is frequently preferable to `std::vector` but still isn't
readable or immediately intuitive and so is rarely used in practice (see
https://www.llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#llvm-adt-smallvector-h for
the documented points on N=0).

I think someone (JYKnight, perhaps) mentioned in the code review
> (always difficult fragmenting the discussion between code review and
> RFC, unfortunately - not sure there's a great solution to that - some
> way to lock comments on a Phab review might be nice) that there are
> cases where you do want a small inline buffer even when you're nested
> inside another data structure and/or heap allocated (like tail
> allocations).

Yes: I think it is misleading to formulate anything about heap, I see a
SmallVector inside a heap allocated object is akin to a trailing allocation
optimization.

> Got any sense of the total value here? Major savings to be had?
>
> (if SmallVector<T> can do what your proposed SVec<T> does, that leaves
> the Vec<T> - could you expound on the benefits of SmallVector<T, 0>
> over std::vector<T>? I guess the SmallVectorImpl generic algorithm
> opportunities? Though that's rarely needed compared to ArrayRef.)
> If SmallVector<T> would suffice then maybe Vec<T> could be
> ZeroSmallVector<T>? Not sure.

ZeroSmallVector<T> does not really address your "more vector names to pick
from" concerns, and it is longer than `SmallVector<T, 0>`: shouldn't we aim
for the "default case" to be the easiest to reach / most intuitive to pick?
`llvm::Vec` looks like "just a vector".

Cheers,

--
Mehdi