[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 08:43:04 PDT 2020

Speaking only for myself here...

Much as I hate to use this sort of language, that statement appears to
be blaming the victim for not getting over it and progressing to a
connotation-free reading of language.  But language is never free of
connotations, even if you and I don't see those connotations.

I'm not seeing the change as a huge inconvenience, and this argument is
not much different than the head-butting over camelCase vs CamelCase.
Some people care deeply, others see little value in the change so why
bother; IMO it makes the people who care deeply happier, and it doesn't
particularly interfere with my work or cost me more than a bit of one
time adaptation.  Thus overall it is a plus for the community.

If anyone's keeping track of the voting:
+1 for "dev" (contrasts with "release")
+1 for "trunk" (historical and consistent with the branch metaphor)
-1 for "main"
--paulr