[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 09:38:02 PDT 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 16:43, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> If anyone's keeping track of the voting:
> +1 for "dev" (contrasts with "release")
> +1 for "trunk" (historical and consistent with the branch metaphor)
> -1 for "main"

Hey! At least one +1 for "main" from me!

Also, on -1 for "trunk" from Arm.

I may have missed some, too.

I agree with Chris we should wait for Github, mostly because that
would be looking over a much wider scope and will be choosing
something that more people are happy with.

Moreover, more people will use the Github name as their main branch
and will be "surprised" why ours is different and we'll have to
explain.

Least surprise principle is always good.