[llvm-dev] IRC spam

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 16 21:03:43 PDT 2020

On 06/16/2020 07:27 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 15:06, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> I also see little evidence that it would fix the problem of someone
>> having too much time on their hand and wants to be a nuisance.
>
> AFAICS, this is not the problem.
>
> The nicks are clearly randomly generated by smashing words together
> and the content seems to be what comes out of a language model after
> reading angry Facebook posts.
>
> Registering is quick and easy and would filter 99% of the automated
> accounts. Not 100% and not the people with too much time in their
> hands. But those, nothing will.
>
> It's like a bicycle lock: the bigger your lock, the more likely the
> thief will steal someone else's bike. But someone wanting *your* bike
> will take it, no matter the lock.

I'm fairly certain that this is the same person that has been spamming
the #dri-devel and #radeon channels on freenode for years.  The pattern
of comments is they same and I've seen them mention people in comments on
#llvm who only join those other channels.  #dri-devel requires users to identify
with the server and also uses extbans, but that hasn't really helped.

I'm not sure how to solve this, but I think having more ops
(spread across all timezones) would help.

-Tom