[llvm-dev] IRC spam

Ryan Houdek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 25 17:03:22 PDT 2020

I'll comment from the perspective of someone that is in the Mesa,
#dri-devel, #radeon channels myself and have watched their behaviour over
the years. This is a real person that spams a load of information into a
channel about their understanding of how hardware works.
I have no idea what their goal is for spamming this information, could be
some desire for acceptance from perceived smartness. Or something as simple
as wanting to be hired for their "brilliance". Hard to tell.
A major issue with their personality is that they will retaliate against
anyone that tries to stop their ranting, and they become hostile with their
phrasing very quickly because of it. Just check the logs for them
retaliating against anyone that has kickbanned them.
Another issue is that depending on their mood of the day, they may be
entirely lost to any form of reasoning, which makes it difficult for any
communication.
So just to reiterate, they are a real person but are difficult to deal with.
On that note, they aren't completely impossible to work with in some cases,
it just might require accepting getting attacked for a few weeks.
I'm a channel operator in one of the Mesa related IRC channels and have had
success in communicating with them that their behaviour is not conducive to
the environment that we were attempting to create in the channel.
This took a bit of coaxing on their "good" days, and communicating with
them while being attacked for around a month on end. At the end of this
month-long attack and communication I was able to get them to understand
that they aren't welcome to the channel.
They no longer enter the channel that I moderate; I managed to get through
to them on some level at least.
Sadly this sort of baby sitting of a user shouldn't be required and
requiring some thick skin to get through their harsh comments is difficult.
More moderation will "work" but while they are rampaging, you're going to
still have to watch the channel and you'll get a few lines of harassing
text while an op takes a bit of time to see them (and sometimes even
perceive them, on "good" days they make comments that make some sense
initially).