[llvm-dev] Whose responsibility is it to maintain tests using experimental backends?

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 12 05:45:59 PST 2020

Hi all,

I recently, on behalf of a new LLVM contributor, pushed commit  740bc366d44c
<https://reviews.llvm.org/rG740bc366d44ccd41161739bc1d4b447cd49aba65>,
which broke an in-tree test for the AVR backend (see
http://45.33.8.238/mac/7865/step_11.txt). On the review
https://reviews.llvm.org/D72992, a request was made to fix the test or
revert the change. This test didn't fail locally or on any of the build
bots, because the AVR backend is experimental and does not run even for
build that has all normal targets enabled).

The fix in this case is simple, and I don't have any real issue in making
it, but there's a wider principle here: if an in-tree test fails but only
when experimental items are enabled, whose responsibility is it to fix the
issue? I'm inclined to think that it's the responsibility of whoever
maintains the experimental target and/or the bot maintainer where the
experimental target is enabled, and NOT the regular developer.

Thoughts?

James