[llvm-dev] Sending bot emails to both Git authors and committers

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 6 17:19:29 PST 2020

We changed the policy to use the Committer and Author fields correctly a little while back. https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#commit-messages <https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#commit-messages> (it's the second bullet point).

> However, I've noticed that when the change breaks bots, emails are sent only to the author, not the committer. I think that's counterintuitive because the author in these cases doesn't even have permission to revert the change (otherwise they would have pushed the change themselves).
>
> Can we modify bot notifications to either send the email to committer or (preferably) both?

+1.

It looks like we might need a fairly big update to buildbot though (unless we do it ourselves). We're on 0.85 and (based on a quick look) it seems some of the groundwork went into buildbot last year: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/4841 <https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/4841> (Add committer field to changes). Based on the date, we probably need buildbot 2.4.0