[llvm-dev] compatibility with gnu binutils

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 5 16:23:57 PST 2020

> From: James Henderson via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> To: Oliver Stannard <oliver.stannard at linaro.org>
> Cc: LLVM Dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] [RFC] Case insensitive assembly directives for
>         all     targets
>
> +1 to all of what Oliver said. We aim for compatibility with GNU in most
> (all?) of our other binutils, so why should the assembler be any different?

This doesn't sound right. GNU binutils have a large quantity of legacy
cruft, not least the redundancy between tools like readelf and objdump
which are capable of doing the same task in exchange for different command
line arguments.

Our from-scratch binutils suite has the opportunity to be much easier to
use than GNU's tooling. Where was this policy, which sounds like
replicating their design mistakes bug-for-bug, agreed upon and documented?

Aside from the above query, case sensitive asm doesn't sound like a good
feature to me either.

Thanks