[llvm-dev] Questions about vscale

Hanna Kruppe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 13 10:28:55 PDT 2020

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 05:23, Kai Wang <kai.wang at sifive.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> If we apply the type system pointed out by Renato, is the vector type <vscale x 1 x i16> legal? If we decide that <vscale x 1 x i16> is a fundamentally impossible type, does it contrary to the philosophy of LLVM IR as reasonably target-independent IR? I do not get the point of your argument.

<vscale x 1 x i16> would be illegal, but like other illegal types, it
can be legalized. It does not run into the problem I see with
fractional vscale, since the number of elements each vector type is
supposed to have is still a whole number. For example, it could be
legalized by using a full vector register as for <vscale x 1 x i32>
and sign-extending or zero-extending each element as needed by the
operations performed on it. Another possibility is using a full vector
register with SEW=16, but computing `vl` as for SEW=32 which
effectively means using only the lower half of the vector register.
Both options always ensure we correctly (if slowly) emulate a vector
containing as many i16 elements as <vscale x 1 x i32> has i32
elements.

To be clear: in LLVM jargon, a type being "illegal" does not mean that
the type is not supposed to be used. It only means that the type isn't
directly supported by the hardware, but can be mapped to the things
the hardware does support with extra effort and at the expense of some
performance. For example, i64 is illegal on typical 32 bit targets,
but clang happily uses i64 for C types like `long` or `long long`
(depending on ABI), and backends support this. Another example are the
float and double types on any target without FPU (including RISC-V
without F/D extension).

I hope this clarifies the distinction I made before.

Kind regards,
Hanna

PS: I'm ignoring the "fractional LMUL" proposal in this discussion, I
hope that's okay for you. If it was adopted it would give us a larger
set of legal types, but all the concepts we're discussing here would
still apply to other types, so let's stick with LMUL > 1 to avoid
confusion.