[llvm-dev] Questions about vscale

Kai Wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 13 07:59:25 PDT 2020

Hi Renato,

Thanks for your explanation. It is very helpful. Now I totally understand
your concern.

In GCC, it has a similar representation for scalable vector type. It uses a
data structure called poly-int[1] to represent the run-time part. It also
used to represent the relationship(half size, double size, etc.) between
types. It looks similar to (a * X + b) * type. X represents the run-time
value. It is equivalent to LLVM representation using vscale * n * type.

Similarly, there is a target hook to calculate (a * X + b) in GCC, called
TARGET_ESTIMATED_POLY_VALUE[2]. The difference between GCC and LLVM is that
GCC uses whole polynomial expression to calculate the actual run-time
vector length instead of getting the run-time variable only, i.e., X in GCC
and vscale in LLVM. Maybe it is not a good idea to return float for vscale
intrinsic. It should be more reasonable to take the element count into the
intrinsic to calculate the actual run-time length for scalable vector
types. That is,

declare i32 llvm.vscale.i32(i32 ElementCount)
declare i64 llvm.vscale.i64(i32 ElementCount)

Does it make sense?

[1]
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Overview-of-poly_005fint.html#Overview-of-poly_005fint
[2] https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/gcc/targhooks.c#L1703