[llvm-dev] Delete Phabricator metadata tags before committing

Jon Roelofs via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 9 09:45:34 PDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:29 AM Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de> wrote:

> I was always assuming that the suggested commit is assembled in the
> PHP code run by arcanist command run locally. If indeed the arc
> command requests the commit message from the server,

I assumed so too until I went digging for it. Seems the client-side stuff
only deals with the structured data, and calls out to the server to
construct the raw text when needed:

https://github.com/phacility/arcanist/blob/33b9728b5f65fd747b7a15c0e25436c63e82f592/src/workflow/ArcanistDiffWorkflow.php#L757

> we could do some
> additional things:
>
>  * Remove "Summary:" in front of message
>  * Line break after 72 columns
>  * Convert summary markdown formatting to plain texts (e.g. remove
> backticks; I don't know any git client that renders as markdown)
>  * Add/check existence of [component] tag
>
> Alternatively, we could make an upstream feature request
>

>From what I can tell, upstream doesn't seem /that/ interested in it being
any more than a one-off thing:

https://secure.phabricator.com/Q268
https://secure.phabricator.com/T12276