[llvm-dev] [RFC] Removing Waymarking from Use.

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 2 10:09:46 PDT 2020

On Apr 1, 2020, at 5:51 AM, Tyker1 at outlook.com via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi llvm-dev,
>
> I have a patch open for review that removes waymarking https://reviews.llvm.org/D77144 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D77144>.
>
> This patch removes waymarking and replaces it with storing a pointer to the User in the Use.
>  when compiling the CTMark tests of the test suite, this give an average of +1.8% max memory use and -1.1% compile time.
>
> Removing Waymarking also simplifies the code of Use and User.

Waymarking is very complicated, and I’d be generally +1 on removing it if it is not paying for itself.  It is also nice to see compiler speedups!

I’m curious about kimwitu++ though - when waymarking initially landed, it was a significant memory size win for that.  Do you have any idea why you’re not seeing the same difference?  Is it possible that different things were being measured back then?

-Chris