[llvm-dev] Fwd: RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Matthew Hodgson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 19 10:56:59 PST 2019

In our experience, the fact that IRC is niche and relatively
inaccessible and lo-fi means that it's much less likely to suffer abuse;
it's effectively security through obscurity.  However, if you want to
expand your community to be more accessible and inclusive, then by
definition you make it easier for bad actors to enter and participate as
well as constructive participants.  Throw in richer content such as
images, videos, avatars, file transfer, large messages, etc and sadly
you find yourself needing better moderation tools.  ymmv of course.

Matthew Hodgson
Matrix.org