[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Don Hinton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 22:10:53 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:57 PM Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
wrote:

> Don Hinton wrote:
>
> > my biggest problem on a daily basis is the use of force pushes to PR's,
>
> Internally we're using PRs and people respond to comments with additional
> commits, not force pushes (in general).  I'm able to look at individual
> commits in the sequence.  Is this not how github.com PRs work?

Yes, I believe you're correct, but you can also do force push that replaces
the previous commits.  Not the end of the world, but can make it a bit more
difficult to see what got changed in each force push.  The idea is not to
have a bunch of typo fixes in the commits.  I've ended up doing the same
thing, just to keep what's ultimately merged to master be a single commit
-- why fight it, right?

> Being branches in an individual's fork, of course we can't procedurally
> forbid force-pushes, but social pressure makes a lot of things work out
> that don't have technical solutions.

It'll be interesting seeing how that turns out, but my guess is it'll be
the wild west...  That's why I prefer Phab in general.  It makes is easy to
do it the "right" way.