[llvm-dev] Query about JIT

Sachkov, Alexey via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 12 06:05:54 PDT 2019

Hi Rajesh,

If I understand correctly, libclang is a C interface to Clang features, not LLVM. That means that you cannot get LLVM IR via libclang: The C Interface to Clang provides a relatively small API that exposes facilities for parsing source code into an abstract syntax tree (AST), loading already-parsed ASTs, traversing the AST, associating physical source locations with elements within the AST, and other facilities that support Clang-based development tools.

To get LLVM IR and perform JIT compilation you need to use C++ API of Clang and LLVM.

Here is some links which might be helpful:
* [cfe-dev] How to use clang and llvm for JIT, preferably via the C API  http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2015-August/044869.html
* [cfe-dev] Help on Generating LLVM Module from C++ file using libClang  http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2017-November/056033.html
* [LLVMdev] libclang JIT frontend  http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2013-October/066088.html
* Generate assembly from C code in memory using libclang  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34828480/generate-assembly-from-c-code-in-memory-using-libclang

BTW, there is a library for translating OpenCL C source code into a LLVM IR which features in-memory translation:
* https://github.com/intel/opencl-clang
It is not suitable for performing the whole JIT compilation, but it is used by https://github.com/intel/intel-graphics-compiler as a front-end. Also I’m not sure that you will be able to use it as-is for your purposes, but at least it can be used as an example