[llvm-dev] [RFC] Coding Standards: "prefer `int` for regular arithmetic, use `unsigned` only for bitmask and when you intend to rely on wrapping behavior."

Jake Ehrlich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 11 13:22:47 PDT 2019

This whole debate seems kind of odd to me. I don't know that cases where it
isn't clear what type to use come up that often. If a value can truly never
be negative you should use an unsigned value. If a value can be negative,
you should use a signed value. Anecdotal evidence in my case is that the
vast majority of values are unsigned by this rule.

Is there a reason to use a signed value when you know a value will never be
negative? Trapping on overflow doesn't seem motivated to me to me since I'm
not aware of anything that does that. UBSan also checks for overflow in
unsigned types by default as well so you can still check for that issue.

I'm not going to go watch the YouTube videos but the ES.102 lacks merit. On
systems I work with the bug they mention wouldn't be caught the way they
say. They also use subtraction (a rare operation IMO) as a motivating
example and arbitrarily declare large values to be less obvious bugs than
negative values without evidence to this.

ES.101 is valid but is not a reason to prefer signed to unsigned values in
any context. I've also run into a number of instances of signed shifts
being used and the interplay between negation and bitwise operators being
used. Not that those are common but it's just to say that exceptions exist
even to that rule.