[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 22 12:46:49 PST 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 2/22/2019 1:40 PM, David Greene via llvm-dev wrote:
> > I actually think we need something stronger.  Acronyms should be
> > discouraged unless it's absolutely clear what it is.
>
> I think we should avoid terms that are both strict and subjective at the
> same time. (How do you test if something is absolutely clear?) Instead
> we should delegate resolving such ambiguities to the common sense of the
> author and the reviewers.

+1 to generally delegating to author and reviewer.

The guidance I would suggest is: "Prefer words over acronyms generally, and
especially if the acronyms are not widely used in the industry or
literature." I think this still gives some leeway for things like "TCP",
but also good pressure against arbitrarily inventing acronyms when there
are good words to use for variables.