[llvm-dev] Cloning MachineFunctions

Owen Rodley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 5 23:50:11 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've recently had the need to clone MachineFunctions for an experimental
pass I'm working on*. While there exists code for cloning at the IR level
(in Transforms/Utils/Cloning.h), I haven't been able to find anything for
cloning MachineFunctions. I had a brief stab at implementing it but quickly
got into the weeds trying to handle all the details.

So, my question is twofold:
1) Is there some utility I've overlooked which can clone MachineFunctions?
2) If I were to implement it, would it be considered a generally useful
utility, and accepted into the tree? In other words, is it worth taking the
time to do it properly and getting it reviewed?

Thanks

* To answer the inevitable XY problem question: my pass does combinatorial
optimisation at the MachineFunction level: modifying the function,
evaluating the result and then backtracking. Some of the changes it makes
are hard to undo when backtracking (such as spilling), so I'm trying the
approach of cloning the MachineFunction, modifying the new one and then
throwing it away.