[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 25 00:50:15 PDT 2018

On 10/25/18 1:09 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 22:45, NAKAMURA Takumi via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Let me speak bikeshedding.
>> I was thinking what is better to represent svn revision number in each commit.
>>
>> I propose just to add svnrev in front of subject, instead of appending metadata.
>> "rXXXXXX: This is 1st line of commit log"
> That's a good question, and the answer will define how we find svn
> revs in the future. But I don't think there are a lot of wrong answers
> here, we just have to pick one and stick to it.
>
> I don't know enough about how git queries commit messages to have a
> strong opinion, but I imagine on subject is easier to grab than the
> rest of the message, and it will show in GitHub's commit list.
For the purpose of just searching through the log it does not matter.
git log --grep= looks through the whole commit message.

Right now svn rev number appears to be at the bottom of commit message,
which works fine for git log investigation purposes.
> It would be worse if we had hard rules against long subjects, but we
> don't, so I guess it's ok from that point of view.
>
> We normally use [TAG], so [rXXX] would "look" more natural to me, but
> that's beyond bikeshedding, so whatever works. :)
We seem to use TAG things to put "semantical" markers into the subject
line to be able
to quickly sort out interesting topics. Exactly because of that I do dislike
suggestion to put svn rev numbers into the subject, since svn rev number
does not have any semantical meaning. [rXXX] would not be any different for
me than [rYYY] so why bother putting it there at all?

regards,
   Fedor.