[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 24 15:09:13 PDT 2018

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 22:45, NAKAMURA Takumi via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Let me speak bikeshedding.
> I was thinking what is better to represent svn revision number in each commit.
>
> I propose just to add svnrev in front of subject, instead of appending metadata.
> "rXXXXXX: This is 1st line of commit log"

That's a good question, and the answer will define how we find svn
revs in the future. But I don't think there are a lot of wrong answers
here, we just have to pick one and stick to it.

I don't know enough about how git queries commit messages to have a
strong opinion, but I imagine on subject is easier to grab than the
rest of the message, and it will show in GitHub's commit list.

It would be worse if we had hard rules against long subjects, but we
don't, so I guess it's ok from that point of view.

We normally use [TAG], so [rXXX] would "look" more natural to me, but
that's beyond bikeshedding, so whatever works. :)

cheers,
--renato