[llvm-dev] Question on fast-math optimizations

Heiko Becker via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 20 06:21:47 PST 2018

Dear LLVM developers,

I have a question on the fast-math floating-point optimizations applied
by LLVM:
Judging by the documentation at
https://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#fast-math-flags I understood that
rewriting with associativity and using reciprocal computations are
possible optimizations. As the folklore description of fast-math is that
it "applies real-valued identities", I was wondering whether LLVM does
also rewrite with distributivity.

If this is the case, could you point me to some specification when it is
applied? If not, is there any particular reason against applying
distributivity or whether this just has not been looked into so far?

Thank you and best regards,

Heiko