[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Wrapping lit commands for device testing

George Karpenkov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 4 19:38:56 PDT 2018

Hi Pavel,

I was thinking about a generic proposal for a while,
but then I’ve realized that a much simpler heuristic suffices for all of my needs:

 - Prepend all commands which should execute on the device with %run, which runs a wrapper python script
 - Inside that script use a simple regexp to find all paths
 - sync all paths to the device
 - run the executable on the device
 - sync all paths form the device back to host

> On Apr 23, 2018, at 8:09 AM, Pavel Labath <labath at google.com> wrote:
>
> Hello George,
>
> I would be very much interested in a (generic) solution that would allow
> running tests on a remote host/device. My intended use case for this is
> lldb+android, and I am mostly interested in googletest-style tests.

I’m not sure about those, all my problems were in LIT tests.

> In
> fact, I proposed something vaguely similar to this (but limited to gtest)
> last year <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-May/113370.html>.
> However, due to some internal reshuffles, this idea never got past the
> prototype stage. Nonetheless, I would still like do something like this
> eventually (even better if someone else does it for me :) ).
>
> I would love to hear more about your proposal, as my head is currently
> filled with questions about how this would work. (I admit I don't know
> anything about how libFuzzer is tested.) It's not clear to me whether you
> intend to implement a general purpose remote test execution framework, or a
> solution tailored to the needs of libFuzzer.

Seemed generic enough for most of compiler-rt.

> Do you automatically handle
> copying the inputs to the remote target? How do you identify what the
> inputs are?

Yes, the simple heuristic above seems to work here.

> Do you copy over any llvm tools executed in the run lines?

I copy the command directly after %run wrapper, but not FileCheck/etc.
%run syncs it over to the device.

> What
> about their dependent libraries? etc.

Dynamically linked? Mostly we don’t have any, and for those tests where we do,
some rpath substitution magic is required.

> Maybe if you could give an example of a typical test you intend to support
> and how it would work, a lot of these questions would be answered. If this
> turns out to be something that could be reused for our use case, I would be
> willing to chip in to help make it happen.

Basically, any of libFuzzer tests with %run prepended, e.g. https://reviews.llvm.org/D45235

George