[llvm-dev] Running lit (googletest) tests remotely

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 26 08:17:59 PDT 2017

Hello all,

we are trying to convert some of the lldb tests to lit (for these
specific tests we are using the googletest format). One of our
requirements is that we are able to run these tests remotely, so that
we are able to verify that we can debug e.g. android arm binaries even
though our development environment runs x86 linux).

As far as I am aware, right now there is no support for that in lit:
running check-lldb-unit target in a cross-compile situation will
attempt to run the run the test binaries as if they were native and
fail horribly.

Based on a not-too-detailed examination of the lit codebase, it does
not seem that it would be too difficult to add this capability: During
test discovery phase, we could copy the required files to the remote
host. Then, when we run the test, we could just prefix the run command
similarly to how it is done for running the tests under valgrind. It
would be up to the user to provide a suitable command for copying and
running files on the remote host (using rsync, ssh, telnet or any
other transport he chooses).

What do you think? Would something like that be a welcome addition to
the llvm testing infrastructure? Has anyone tried to do something like
that and hit major road blocks I did not anticipate?

Or, if you have any suggestions on how to run tests in cross-compile
setting differently, I'd love to hear about them.

regards,
pavel