[llvm-dev] Checking when Register Allocation has been performed

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 17 11:00:31 PST 2018

Hi Matthias,

I suspect I am more worried than concerned, meaning that I accept that such calls “might be” possible, but I am also currently aware of none.  But because I have no control (other than source editing) over the sequence of passes that occur between “pre-RA” scheduling and “post-RA” scheduling, I guess my concern is about being 100% sure about when RA happens.

I have not observed any current passes (other than frame lowering) that can cause lowering to occur between the two scheduling passes.  I am quite happy to handle this with a flag which at the end of my “pre-RA” pass, assumes that RA is run.  Worst case, slightly less efficient code.  If there was something in TII, my preference is simple: ‘bool isPreRA() const’ and ‘bool isPostRA() const’, or something along those lines; not sure it would be appropriate to TII though, perhaps “MachineFunction”?  Or even in the pass manager interface?

All the best,

            MartinO