[llvm-dev] Canonical way to handle zero registers?

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 3 19:44:57 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 8:28 AM, Daniel Sanders <daniel_l_sanders at apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> Just to give the GlobalISel perspective on this,

Thanks for chiming in!

> GlobalISel supports the declaration of a zero register in the register
> class like so:
>         def GPR32z : RegisterOperand<GPR32> {
>           let GIZeroRegister = WZR;
>         }
> With that definition, the tablegen-erated ISel code will try to replace
> will try to replace 'G_CONSTANT s32 0' with WZR whenever the operand is
> specified as GPR32z.

Is this method extensible to the case of other hardwired register values?
Tracing through the code, I noticed that it seems to boil down to a
GIR_CopyOrAddZeroReg opcode, which seems like a pretty deep embedding of
the specialness of zero.

Also, IIUC, GPR32z is defining a special reg class that enables the
zero-register transformation. Defining a new reg class seems pretty
heavyweight for this; is there ever a situation where you wouldn't want the
zero-register transformation to fire so you could just put this on GPR32
itself? I noticed that there actually aren't very many uses of GPR32z which
seems strange, as I would expect most instructions could make use of the
zero register.

Thanks,

-- Sean Silva