[llvm-dev] Missing attribute inference cases

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 16 10:29:56 PST 2018

This email is just to summarize a bit of digging I did last night into
our attribute inference.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to have time to
implement any of the gaps I noticed, but I figured someone else out
there might be interested.

*Missing Attributes*

argmemonly - influences AA, particularly relevant for libraries which
wrap build in functions which are annotated, but don't manually annotate
the wrappers

dereferenceable - influences speculation safety, this primarily drives
LICM, but can also effect things like PRE -- probably best to implement
as a deref_or_nuill analysis and then merge nonnull inference to promote

dereferenceable_or_null - see previous

nounwind - currently implemented in PruneEH, missing in new pass manager
-- this one will get fixed in the near future

*Untrusted Declarations*

In several cases, we check hasExactDefinition before checking properties
of the function declaration (such as return type).  To my knowledge,
facts on declarations are valid even in the place of derefinement.  This
results in the analysis being unnecessarily conservative around external
declarations.

*AlwaysInline and hasExactDefinition*

I believe, but have not fully thought through, that it is legal to IPO
across an inexact definition boundary if a particularly callsite or
declaration is marked alwaysinline.  It's not clear this matters since
we'll eventually inline it anyway, but this might be a compile time
savings by simplifying callers earlier than otherwise possible.

Philip