[llvm-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming PACXX (Programing Accelerators with C++)

Haidl, Michael via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 5 22:27:24 PST 2018

> Interesting.
>
> I do something similar for D targeting CUDA (via NVPTX) and OpenCL (via my
> forward proved fork of Khronos’ SPIRV-LLVM)[1], except all the code
> generation is done at compile time. The runtime is aided by compile time
> reflection so that calling kernels is done by symbol.
>
> What kind of performance difference do you see running code that was not
> developed with GPU in mind (e.g. range-v3) vs code that was?
[Haidl, Michael]
We extended range-v3 with a few GPU enabled algorithms to exploit especially views from range-v3 for execution on GPUs. While the kernels are clearly designed for GPUs mixing it with code like range-v3's views showed no negative performance impacts. We evaluated against thrust in the linked paper and were able to get on par with thrust. The views of range-v3 really come with zero-cost abstractions.
> What restrictions do you apply? I assume virtual functions, recursion. What
> else?
[Haidl, Michael]
Virtual functions are still a problem. Recursion works to some point (the stack frame size on the GPU is the limitation here). Since PACXX builds on CUDA and HIP we can assume that recursion is possible (with minor intervention of the developer setting the stack size right).
Exception handling in kernels is currently not possible in PACXX.
> How does pacxx's SPMD model differ from what one can do in LLVM at the
> moment?
[Haidl, Michael]
There is not much difference. I have a little experimental branch that accepts CUDA as input code and compiles it with PACXX. The only problem are device specific stuff like nvptx intrinsics generated by clang for CUDA what makes a portable execution currently impossible.