[llvm-dev] Where's the optimiser gone? (part 5.a): missed tail calls, and more...

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 5 22:11:13 PST 2018

On Dec 5, 2018, at 3:01 AM, Stefan Kanthak via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> May I but add another, completely bizarre argument to the discussion:
> besides Daniel and me, and even you who wastes his surely precious time
> with so very constructive comments, there may be one, two or even three
> OTHER people, let's call them "users" of LLVM instead of victims, whose
> DEFINITIVELY more valuable time (be it real or CPU) is wasted waiting
> for their programs to complete due to the unoptimised code produced by
> LLVM, or due to the unoptimised routines shipped with compiler-rt, or
> even both, while the web site <https://compiler-rt.llvm.org/> blatantly
> lies them in their face stating

Hi Stefan,

I personally appreciate the fact that you are prodding and probing LLVM, finding deficiencies, and I think it is great that you are willing to contribute your insights to the community.  I would personally also really appreciate it if you would take guidance from the community and log bugs (it isn’t that hard!) so we can properly track this.  Not doing so is becoming borderline spam on this mailing list given the volume of posts.  I think your work here is very valuable and so I’d really like to capture it to allow it to make a lasting impact on LLVM.

That said, regardless of what your decision on that is (I can understand if it isn’t worth your time), your tone above is not productive or constructive, and the LLVM community expects cordial communication with a baseline of a respectful tone.  I request that you be considerate of the fact that you are speaking on a public LLVM community list, and therefore are expected to remain in line with the community expectations.

Thanks.  Please feel free to contact me offline if you have questions or concerns,

-Chris