[llvm-dev] LLVM/Clang/Compiler-RT tarballs version 7.0.0rc2

Sedat Dilek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 27 01:50:13 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo at hahnjo.de> wrote:
> On 2018-08-27 09:44, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I see.
>> You have an unusual development process seen from my POV.
>

> GNOME does the same, to pick one example:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointTwentynine
> Tarballs are due on Monday, official release and announcement are on
> Wednesday.
>
>> IMHO you can provide the tarballs before the "binaries" are uploaded
>> which means "prebuilt binaries".
>> That could increase the quality of developing when different arch/os
>> maintainers give their OK.
>

> We had that discussion, please see older threads: It's just that there is
> some internal testing before uploading the tarballs for "public" testing.
> For rc1 tagging was on August 3rd, upload of the tarballs on August 7th.
>
>> But for 7.0.0rc1 I see only prebuilt binaries for...
>>
>> * macOS
>> * FreeBSD10 AMD64
>> * Windows (32-bit)
>> * Windows (64-bit)
>

> clang+llvm-7.0.0-rc1-x86_64-linux-sles12.3.tar.xz is missing, probably an
> oversight. [ CC Hans ]
>
>> So giving an OK on different platforms than above listen ones is done via
>> email?
>> I mean without providing prebuilt binaries?
>

> Yes, there are some downstream projects and distributions reporting test
> results and possibly uploading the binaries to different infrastructures.
> For example packages for Debian and Ubuntu live at http://apt.llvm.org/.

Thanks for the clarifications, Jonas.

I am in contact with the Debian maintainer who uploads to
<apt.llvm.org> and the official Debian repositories.
Debian/experimental offers a clang-7 (1:7~+rc2-1~exp1).

As I did my Linux kernel (last: v4.18.5) experiments with my selfmade
llvm-toolchain from Git...

# clang --version
clang version 7.0.0 (https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang.git
deea4eee5de7c93740402afdb85a595635c78606)
(https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm.git
98aa61ba49b54902a7afc27c9aa6c562646be76f)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

...I will do my 1st Linux v4.19-rc1 run with this one.

Be patient for the officially announced tarballs or try the packages
from Debian/experimental?
For now, I will not change my llvm-toolchain.

Thanks.

- Sedat -

[1] https://packages.debian.org/experimental/clang-7