[llvm-dev] A way to opt out of a dag combine?

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 9 05:54:51 PDT 2018

There is no way to opt out of the DAG combiner. Some of what it does is
actually a prerequisite for legalization, so it cannot be completely
disabled. There has been some talk about the issue of having
optimization and "canonicalization" intertwined with each other, and
about potentially separating the two, but nothing concrete has been done
about it (yet).

 From your description it seems like you are seeing an incorrect
behavior. If that's the case, it should definitely be fixed. Could you
provide the complete DAG before and after the erroneous transformation?

-Krzysztof

On 4/9/2018 4:12 AM, Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev wrote:
> Is there an established way of disabling a DAG combine on a per target
> basis, where it appears to be detrimental to the generated code? Writing
> if (!mytarget) in DAGCombiner.cpp works but tends to be erased by git
> merge and generally doesn't look ideal. Writing the inverse transform in
> target specific code doesn't work in this instance and in general
> creates an infinite loop.
>

> Guidance would be very welcome!
>

> Thanks
>

> For the curious, the specific instance I would like to avoid is
> reduceBuildVecToShuffle. It doesn't seem to have any target specific
> hooks. Exhaustive testing of x86-64 vector code doesn't show the error.
> I think the other in tree targets would notice the vector transform
> getting the answer wrong (it's harder to confirm without hardware), so
> the bug is probably inert for in tree targets.
>

> Given a v4f16 instance t2, the DAG describes building a v2f16 vector
> from elements [0, 2]. The combine translates this to building a vector
> from elements [0, 0]. The problem seems to be treating extract_subvector
> with different constants as instances of the same value.
>

> t14: v2f16 = extract_subvector t2, Constant:i32<2>
>
> t15: f16 = extract_vector_elt t14, Constant:i32<0>
>
> t16: v2f16 = extract_subvector t2, Constant:i32<0>
>
> t17: f16 = extract_vector_elt t16, Constant:i32<0>
>

> t9: v2f16 = BUILD_VECTOR t17, t15
>

>   ... into: t19: v2f16 = vector_shuffle<0,0> t16, undef:v2f16 // fail

hosted by The Linux Foundation