[llvm-dev] Errors linking with LLVM 5.0 - dump() missing

Dibyendu Majumdar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 25 14:35:59 PDT 2017

Hi Don,

On 25 September 2017 at 22:29, Don Hinton <hintonda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> Looks like this one was missed -- the declaration should have been #ifdef'd
> away along with the definition.   A quick grep indicates there are a number
> of them that need to be fixed.
>
> Here's the original commit:
>
> commit 88d207542b618ca6054b24491ddd67f8ca397540
> Author: Matthias Braun <matze at braunis.de>
> Date:   Sat Jan 28 02:02:38 2017 +0000
>
>     Cleanup dump() functions.
>
>     We had various variants of defining dump() functions in LLVM. Normalize
>     them (this should just consistently implement the things discussed in
>     http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-January/034323.html
>
>     For reference:
>     - Public headers should just declare the dump() method but not use
>       LLVM_DUMP_METHOD or #if !defined(NDEBUG) || defined(LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP)
>     - The definition of a dump method should look like this:
>       #if !defined(NDEBUG) || defined(LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP)
>       LLVM_DUMP_METHOD void MyClass::dump() {
>         // print stuff to dbgs()...
>       }
>       #endif
>
>     git-svn-id: https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk@293359
> 91177308-0d34-0410-b5e6-96231b3b80d8

I would argue that removing dump() is the wrong thing to do even in
Release builds. I am using LLVM as a JIT. In this use case, it is
essential that one can inspect the IR at runtime. Perhaps in the AOT
case dump() is not used in release versions but that is not the case
in a JIT use case.

Unless there is an equivalent alternative to dump() that is always available.

Regards

Dibyendu