[llvm-dev] InstCombine, graph rewriting, Equality saturation

John Regehr via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 21:52:08 PDT 2017

I was thinking that the role of InstCombine would become clarified
through the design of the table-based mechanism that Hal outlines. It
needs to hit a sweet spot that is reasonably powerful (able to
implement, say, 90% of today's InstCombine) and very efficient. At that
point we have a pass that won't creep much, since it's clearly not
general-purpose, and then there's a pile of residual C++ that isn't a
lot of fun but at least it's a lot smaller than the 30,0000 lines of
code we have now.

I'm not saying it's the answer, but Alive is an example of a restricted
class of transformations that captures a lot of InstCombine-ish things,
that has verification support, and that translates into relatively
efficient C++.

John