[llvm-dev] InstCombine, graph rewriting, Equality saturation

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 21:27:50 PDT 2017

FWIW, Before getting to "how to do it", I think InstCombine needs an actual
goal.
Right now it's "do a bunch of instruction combination and canonicalization
and random kinds of semi-local optimization with some weird analysis and
other stuff in the middle.
Iterate this as hard as we can"
Nobody can really draw any real dividing line for what should be there or
not except based on how easy or expensive it is to shove it in.
That's a recipe for pass creep.

If instcombine becomes the thing that does everything, then everyone will
want it to run every time they generate a bunch more code. We already see
this now, where people want to add more optimizations to instcombine, and
then more  runs of those. Right now there are 4 or 5 runs in most pipelines
(if i'm counting right :P).

If it becomes a more expensive, globally encompassing graph rewriting pass,
it almost certainly needs to be able to be run less than 5 times per
function.  Whether by making other passes better at whatever use cases it
drops, or deciding we get the same result anyway, or whatever.
If it becomes a cheap, local graph-rewriting pass, running it more is not
so bad, but other passes may need to be better at the more global use cases
that are dropped.

But i'd suggest that step 1 is actually define what we really are trying to
get out of it, and what we want it to tackle, before we decide how it
should tackle them.