[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 18:06:30 PDT 2017

Not to rain on the GCC parade, but all this loose talk about bootstrapping our way into using C++20 is making me real nervous.

I think the MSVC limiting factor is a real one.  My company delivers a pile of products to a whole lot of game developers, and those products are (nearly) all built with MSVC.  MSVC is a solid toolchain with a long track record, and actually supports the Windows environment moderately well. ;-)  With all due respect to the folks working on Clang/LLVM's Windows support (and I've even done a tiny bit of it myself), we are nowhere near willing to build our products with such a relatively untried Windows-target tool as Clang itself.

In support of Windows Clang, I will say it has advanced to the point where my team has floated the thought of having an agenda item on a planning meeting to talk about what it would take to work up an experimental build/test pipeline to try out the idea of evaluating the possibility that we could potentially consider adopting Clang as the build compiler for our toolchain.  I am probably stating that too strongly.

More concisely:  Given the two-version policy for MSVC, what MSVC(-1) supports is an upper bound on what version of C++ the LLVM project can really adopt.

Now I do understand this is not what zturner is actually asking; he's asking, how do we decide when to move the *lower* bound, which is somehow caught up in the practicalities of what's delivered with which distros and how important is that really.

In order to advance the lower bound to C++14, the issue is, can we require people to have GCC 5?  End of problem statement.

Thanks for listening,
--paulr