[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 18:24:07 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 6:06 PM Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
wrote:

> Not to rain on the GCC parade, but all this loose talk about bootstrapping
> our way into using C++20 is making me real nervous.
>

> I think the MSVC limiting factor is a real one.  My company delivers a
> pile of products to a whole lot of game developers, and those products are
> (nearly) all built with MSVC.  MSVC is a solid toolchain with a long track
> record, and actually supports the Windows environment moderately well. ;-)
> With all due respect to the folks working on Clang/LLVM's Windows support
> (and I've even done a tiny bit of it myself), we are nowhere near willing
> to build our products with such a relatively untried Windows-target tool as
> Clang itself.
>

> In support of Windows Clang, I will say it has advanced to the point where
> my team has floated the thought of having an agenda item on a planning
> meeting to talk about what it would take to work up an experimental
> build/test pipeline to try out the idea of evaluating the possibility that
> we could potentially consider adopting Clang as the build compiler for our
> toolchain.  I am probably stating that too strongly.
>

> More concisely:  Given the two-version policy for MSVC, what MSVC(-1)
> supports is an upper bound on what version of C++ the LLVM project can
> really adopt.

I disagree with this.  Msvc 2017 will, by the time it’s complete and ready
to move to tge next major toolchain, be mostly c++17 complete.

Then, when the next version comes out, we will be supporting 2017 plus that
version.  At that point we will be “ready” from msvc’s perspective to turn
on c++17, but we will still require gcc 7, which apparently is going to
continue be a roadblock for many years, well after we have full c++17 in
msvc.

Gcc is definitely the bottleneck going forward, I think the days of it
being msvc are over