[llvm-dev] Runtime library components licensing / MIT License / credit requirements

Jonas Thiem via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 28 09:30:10 PST 2017

To explain a bit my motivation behind this e-mail due to the lack of
reactions:

What I am hoping to achieve with this request?

I asked mainly because I would love to hear either more in-depth
explanations why the current MIT licensing of the clang runtime parts
has no such legal implications, or acknowledgment of the issue with some
sort of basic considerations of a potential refinement of the clang
licensing to improve this.

Why do I care in the first place?

I am considering using a clang-compiled executable as a bytecode runtime
for something which other developers use (and which ships with their
self-written programs), and since my own project is zlib/libpng licensed
I currently have zero such license notice requirements. If clang
introduces them, it would complicate things a bit:

It wouldn't be an absolute showstopper of course, but I would feel
compelled to inform those people through various means and write FAQs
about it and all, and it might lead to 1. making the licensing
compliance for the clang-compiled bytecode runtime I am writing more
complicated (compared to "nothing required") 2. a bit of a potential
grey area for people who miss out on this despite FAQ and all since
people are usually aware of lib deps & compliance with that but not
hidden core runtime deps put in by the compiler.

I hope this helps making my questions more interesting and relatable.

Regards,
Jonas Thiem