[llvm-dev] Runtime library components licensing / MIT License / credit requirements

Jonas Thiem via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 25 02:08:14 PST 2017

Hi,

I am writing here because the LLVM Developer Policy on licensing as
found here http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license says that
questions about the licensing should be sent to this list.

The LLVM Developer Policy on licensing says the following about runtime
components compiled into/linked to programs compiled with clang:

"In addition to the UIUC license, the runtime library components of LLVM
(compiler_rt, libc++, and libclc) are also licensed under the MIT
License, which does not contain the binary redistribution clause. [...]
We feel that this is important for runtime libraries, because they are
implicitly linked into applications and therefore should not subject
those applications to the binary redistribution clause."

This sounds like the idea of picking the MIT license instead of clang's
regular Illinois licensing is that there shall be no need to have a
condition similar to the referenced "binary redistribution clause" which
reads as follows: "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the
above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimers in the documentation and/or other materials provided with
the distribution."

However, the MIT license says the following: "The above copyright notice
and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or
substantial portions of the Software." which doesn't define what a
substantial portion of the software even is, and notably does NOT
exclude redistributions in binary form at all. I am also pretty certain
I've read interpretations on the web which understand the license
implications of MIT similarly that binary redistributions must also
adhere to the copyright & conditions notice requirement such that it
doesn't actually provide any weaker requirements here than the
University of Illinois/NCSA license.

Therefore, how is the MIT even better here? It seems like it doesn't
actually achieve the intended goal with any certainty. Wouldn't it be a
much better idea to pick the zlib/libpng license or another license with
a similarly clear text like this: "This notice may not be removed or
altered from any source distribution." .. which very clearly excludes
include binary redistribution from this requirement? Something again the
documentation appears to suggest for the MIT license but which the MIT
license actually doesn't seem to fulfill.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer so all of what I am writing here might be
utterly wrong

Regards,
Jonas Thiem