[llvm-dev] Debugging LLVM IR - Reviving the DebugIR pass

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 20 14:57:27 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM Siddharth Bhat via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently felt the need to have debug info at the LLVM IR level (because
> my frontend's semantics vastly differ from IR that it doesn't make much
> sense to use it). Asm can sometimes be too "low level", so it's nice to
> have the ability to single-step at the IR level.
>
> The pass that used to do this (-debugir) bitrotted and was removed from
> tree. I spent the weekend bringing it back:
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D40207

I removed the pass because it wasn't maintained and the cost of keeping it
up to date was more than the benefit, so a few questions:

a) Are you planning on maintaining this?
b) Are you going to be doing active work on it?
c) What's the benefit here? What use case?

> I'd love to have some help with reviews and tests I should write for this,
> because I don't understand the debug info side of LLVM very well.
>
> Also, is there a protocol to have a review be put on the "review corner"?
> I'd be glad if this patch could be listed there :)

Are you finding it hard to get a review on the patch?

-eric