[llvm-dev] The undef story

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 29 14:56:32 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I would start looking for a more complete example myself, but my
> Belief is so strong that "optimizing undefined behavior" seems
> like a self-contradiction to me, and I don’t know where to
> Even start looking.

If you can't take the time to provide evidence to back up your belief,
then...

> So I’m eagerly awaiting Hal’s (or anyone else's) next email
> That has a complete example.

... I don't think it is reasonable to expect others to take their time.

I understand you have this belief and find it incompatible with the LLVM
community. I think several folks have tried to persuade you that there is
merit in the design of LLVM here, but I understand you remain unconvinced.

Perhaps you will start a compiler project based on your convictions here
and develop it and show why that is a better way to start a compiler
project. But without actually contributing to LLVM and showing clearly (and
incrementally) how to improve it based on your belief with evidence to back
it up, I don't think reiterating your belief on the list is a productive
thing to do.

-Chandler